Related Donor Services
Help your patients overcome barriers to transplant
Your patients need to have access to their best donor option, whether their match is an unrelated donor or a fully matched or haploidentical related donor. Related Donor Services complements your center’s services by taking care of your related donors so you can stay focused on your patients.
You can request Related Donor Services for any case, even when there are no significant barriers to donation.
Use the form at the bottom of the page to download the order forms or request additional information about Related Donor Services.Complete form
Related Donor Services:
- Provides solutions for donor travel, logistical and financial barriers to donation, including lost wage reimbursement and travel expense coverage
- Allows your patients to access our patient financial grants to help with expenses before and after transplant
- Includes sample collection for HLA screening and adult donor workup/product collection
- Alleviates strain on your transplant center infrastructure
Sample collection and typing
This service includes collection of related donor samples and delivery to your center or one of our labs for HLA typing. Your options include buccal swabs from U.S. or international donors or blood samples from U.S. donors (up to 50ml).
Workup and collection (adult donors only)
This service provides facilitation of the donor’s workup and collection, including the related donor evaluation and medical exam; HPC, Apheresis, HPC, Marrow and/or MNC, Apheresis collection; and product transport to your center.
International cell collection and transport
For related donors living outside the U.S., we work with partners around the world to coordinate the donor workup, collection and transport to your center.
We have also established operations and partnerships in Mexico, with apheresis and collection center partners in Guadalajara and offices in Mexico City. This makes typing, workup, collection and product transport easier for relatives living in Mexico.
Subsequent workup and collection (adult donors only)
This service provides facilitation of a subsequent donation request for a related adult donor. The service is available whether the primary donation was performed at your transplant center or through the National Marrow Donor Program® (NMDP)/Be The Match®. It includes the related donor evaluation and medical exam; HPC, Apheresis, HPC, Marrow and/or MNC, Apheresis collection; and product transport to your center.
To order Related Donor Services for your patient, download and complete the appropriate form and submit it to your Case Manager.Download Forms
Related Donor Services Pricing
Sample collection and typing pricing
Our related donor HLA testing services are competitively priced, while offering the best-in-class testing and three-day turnaround times. Our Family Typing Grant is available for patients who don’t have adequate health insurance coverage to cover the cost of HLA typing for potential related donors.
Workup and collection pricing
Pricing for U.S. Related Donor Workup and Collection is approximately $25,000 for centers with an agreement in place. International pricing varies depending on partnering registry costs. When you use Related Donor Services to facilitate your patient’s transplant, you can apply for our patient financial grants for your patient.
[With Related Donor Services], our nurse coordinators can focus solely on the patient and not worry about all the logistics. We are able to make it easier for our donors to help their family member. I know our donors have really been appreciative.”
–Lisa Hoekstra, MT (ASCP), Unrelated Donor Search Coordinator, BMT & Cellular Therapy Program, University of Michigan Medical Center
Benefits of Related Donor Services
When we facilitate your patient’s related donor collection, your patient and U.S.-based donor both receive the full support and benefits we provide when we facilitate a transplant with an unrelated donor.
To help related donors overcome travel, financial and logistical barriers to donation, Related Donor Services assists with:
- Coordinated travel and lodging arrangements for the donor and one companion, paid for by the NMDP/Be The Match
- Reimbursement for out-of-pocket, donation-related expenses, such as transportation and other incidentals
- Reimbursement for lost wages due to donation
- Donor insurance to cover medical expenses
- Donor education and support
Download this PDF for related donors explaining Related Donor Services and its benefits.
Many patients have peace of mind knowing their relative’s costs are covered by the NMDP/Be The Match whether their workup and collection happens close to home or at your center.
But, one of the biggest patient benefits is access to our financial grants for expenses before and after transplant. Learn more about the grants available for your patients and how to apply.
You might not have thought about the ways Related Donor Services can help your team. Related Donor Services can:
- Be used for any related donor case, even when workup and collection will occur at your center or there are no significant travel or financial barriers to donation
- Allow your team to focus only on preparing your patient for transplant
- Help you get your patient to transplant in your desired timeframe because the workup process can move faster with a related donor already identified and willing to move forward to donation
- Alleviate capacity constraints at your center by tapping into our full Network of apheresis centers and collection centers
Complete the form below to request Related Donor Services or additional information.