Related Donor Services
Overcome barriers to related donor transplant
You found the best donor for your patient—a related donor. However, logistical, geographic or financial barriers can slow down or prevent transplant in the timeframe you need.
Related Donor Services (RDS) can help. RDS removes obstacles to related donor collection to:
- Ensure your patient’s graft source is available for transplant when you need it
- Ease capacity constraints at your center by tapping into our Network of 73 apheresis centers and 51 collection centers in the U.S. and Mexico
- Relieve financial pressures for your transplant center, your patient and their related donor
- Provide peace of mind for your patients and their family members
The National Marrow Donor Program® (NMDP)/Be The Match® offers two RDS options for transplant centers: Testing and Logistics and Workup and Collection.
Select the Related Donor Services option that best meets your needs
Testing and Logistics
NMDP/Be The Match manages the donor’s travel and logistics from workup through collection, including to and from your transplant center for collection. Your transplant center maintains control of donor medical clearance and filgrastim injections and facilitates the donor's cell collection.
- Transplant center selects donor.
- NMDP/Be The Match facilitates donor workup through the physical exam and provides required NMDP/Be The Match test results and a brief analysis to your to the transplant center.
- Transplant center provides donor medical clearance.
- Transplant center uses your own processes for filgrastim injections. NMDP/Be The Match manages logistics.
- Donor cell collection happens at your transplant center and is managed by your clinical team.
- NMDP/Be The Match coordinates and pays for donor travel to and from your transplant center for cell collection, including lodging.
Workup and Collection
NMDP/Be The Match manages the full scope of the donor's workup, filgrastim injections, cell collection and cell delivery. It is a full-service solution.
- Transplant center selects donor.
- NMDP/Be The Match facilitates donor workup through the physical exam.
- NMDP/Be The Match provides donor medical clearance.
- NMDP/Be The Match coordinates and is responsible for cost of filgrastim injections.
- NMDP/Be The Match manages donor’s cell collection at NMDP/Be The Match Network apheresis or collection center for cell collection.
- NMDP/Be The Match coordinates and pays for donor travel to and from the apheresis or collection center.
- NMDP/Be The Match uses a courier to transport the donor cells to your transplant center for patient infusion.
Download and complete the form and submit it to your case manager to order RDS for your patient:
Watermarked Related Donor Workup Request (F01034) - effective January 29, 2024
If you need support for a related donor collection and neither Testing and Logistics nor Workup and Collection meet your needs, contact your case manager to discuss selecting individual services.
We also support subsequent workup and collection for a related donor whether your transplant center or the NMDP/Be The Match performed the primary donation. Contact your case manager for additional information.
Family member HLA typing
The NMDP/Be The Match can support sample collection and high-resolution HLA typing for family members. Download the Related Donor Sample Collection for HLA Typing form and submit it to your case manager.
We offer free high-resolution typing through our Patient Financial Assistance Program if your patient’s insurance does not cover family member HLA typing or insurance delays approval.
Benefits for patients and related donors
Whether you choose Testing and Logistics or Workup and Collection, your patient and their related donor receive support and services from the NMDP/Be The Match.
Patient Financial Assistance
Your patient has access to NMDP/Be The Match financial assistance for expenses before and after transplant. Access details about the financial assistance available for patients and how to apply: Patient Financial Assistance Program.
Donor Support and Services
For your patient’s related donor, the NMDP/Be The Match:
- Offers the convenience of local testing
- Coordinates and pays for travel and lodging arrangements for the donor and one companion
- Educates the donor and offer support if they are hesitant
- Advocates for necessary time off work
- Provides financial assistance to cover lost wages
- Reimburses the donor for out-of-pocket, donation-related expenses
When you choose RDS Workup and Collection, donors have the added benefit of typically staying closer to home for cell collection, reducing their travel burden.
Related Donor Services pricing
Testing and Logistics:
- In-country related donors: $15,000
- Out-of-country related donors: $30,000
Workup and Collection:
- In-country related donors: $30,000 (includes cost for filgrastim injections, cell collection at a Network apheresis or collection center, and cell delivery)
- Out-of-country related donors: $45,000
Access the Related Donor Services fee schedules for additional details.
In-country related donors are those who do not travel outside their country of origin for collection. Out-of-country related donors are those who must travel outside their country of origin for collection.
A consultative approach
Your clinical operations partner or case manager can help you identify the optimal services to meet your needs. They are available to guide your team members through the process of requesting RDS Testing and Logistics or Workup and Collection.
No matter the option you choose, we aim to alleviate barriers for your transplant center and related donors, provide peace of mind for your patients, and ensure the graft source is available for transplant when you need it.
If you have any questions, please contact your clinical operations partner or case manager.
Access Related Donor Services Request Form
- Related Donor Workup Request (F01034)
- Watermarked Related Donor Workup Request (F01034) - effective January 29, 2024
Submit the completed form to your case manager to order Related Donor Services for your patient.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between in-country and out-of-country pricing?
In-country related donors are those who do not travel outside their country of origin for collection. Out-of-country related donors are those who must travel outside their country of origin for collection. Travel costs—including flights and lodging—for out-of-country donors are significantly higher.
>Why does RDS Workup and Collection cost less than Testing and Logistics?
Workup and Collection is a full-service option. That means the NMDP/Be The Match is responsible for the full scope of the donor’s workup, collection and product transport to your center. Most of the cost difference comes from fees for cell collection at a Network apheresis or collection center and filgrastim injections.
Our Testing and Logistics product is priced to cover the costs of the NMDP/Be The Match providing donor testing and logistics coordination while still giving your transplant center the ability to control the donor medical activities after physical exam.
>Why did the cost go up for RDS Workup and Collection?
We significantly reduced our RDS pricing to alleviate barriers to transplants for patients when the COVID-19 pandemic took hold in March 2020. We remain dedicated to helping patients receive their treatment. However, we can no longer offer a heavily discounted price on our Workup and Collection RDS product as it is unsustainable in the post-pandemic economic environment. Our price for RDS Workup and Collection has returned to the pre-pandemic level adjusted for inflation.