Cord Blood Transplant Resources and Research
Support for cord selection and patient care
When you’re considering cord blood as a graft source for your patient’s transplant, you may have questions on cord selection, conditioning regimens or post-transplant care for your patients. Or, you may be looking for research to support your decisions.
On this page, explore support options available for you and your team and access journal articles related to cord blood transplantation.
Cord blood unit selection and transplant support
Our Cord Blood Consultation service provides you direct contact with an experienced cord blood transplant physician who works in a transplant center. The physician can help you select the best CBU for your patient and discuss conditioning regimens and prophylactic antivirals and antifungals.
Access the 2019 unrelated donor and cord blood unit selection guidelines for a summary of current evidence-based research for search and selection, including non-HLA criteria such as CBU quality and cell dose.
We’ve also summarized the guidelines for you in an on-demand webinar featuring our Director of Laboratory Services, Jason Dehn, and CIBMTR® Scientific Director, Bronwen Shaw, MD, PhD. Access the webinar
Access an overview of domestic and international cord blood banks to help you select the best cord source for your patients. The report includes identification codes; the median turnaround time of typing and shipment requests; and location of source in the Unified List Type in MatchSource®.
Optimal Practices in Unrelated Donor Cord Blood Transplantation for Hematologic Malignancies offers cord blood transplantation best practices from patient and cord blood unit selection through post-transplant care.
Published in Biology of Blood and Marrow Transplantation, the how-to guide is based on the best practices of six U.S. transplant centers with experience in cord blood transplantation.
Cord blood transplant research
Extending transplant availability to more patients
- Availability of cord blood extends allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplant access to racial and ethnic minorities (Barker JN, et al., Biol Blood Marrow Transplant)
- HLA match likelihoods for hematopoietic stem-cell grafts in the U.S. registry (Gragert N, et al., N Engl J Med)
Improving speed to transplant
- Outcomes of UCB
transplantation are comparable in FLT3+ AML: results of CIBMTR, EUROCORD and
EBMT collaborative analysis (Ustun C, et al., Leukemia)
Lower chronic graft-versus-host disease incidence
- GVHD after umbilical cord blood transplantation for acute leukemia: an analysis of risk factors and effect on outcomes (Chen Y-B, et al., Bone Marrow Transplant)
- Risk factors for acute and chronic graft-versus-host disease after allogeneic hematopoietic cell transplantation with umbilical cord blood and matched sibling donors (Lazaryan A, et al., Biol Blood Marrow Transplant)
- Adult Cord Blood Transplant vs. Matched Related Transplant: Comparable results in overall survival and improved GRFS (Jonathan A. Gutman et al., Blood Advances)
Greater graft-versus-leukemia effect
- Cord-blood transplantation in patients with minimal residual disease (Milano F, et al., N Engl J Med)