Patient Financial Assistance Program
Help patients access financial support before and after transplant
Our goal is to equitably administer financial assistance to help your patients overcome barriers before and after transplant. Utilize the online application, so you can get your patients the financial assistance they need faster and with less paperwork.
Explore financial assistance options for your patient below.
Check out our flowchart to easily determine if your patient is eligible for financial assistance!
Who is eligible for patient financial assistance
Patients are eligible for financial assistance if they meet any of the following criteria:
- Transplant center needs reimbursement for search and procurement activities that Be The Match is facilitating.
- Have a formal search through the NMDP/Be The Match Registry with the intention to move forward with an allogeneic transplant that is facilitated by NMDP/Be The Match (related or unrelated)
- Had an NMDP/Be The Match facilitated related or unrelated donor transplant within three years of application submission date
- Had an NMDP/Be The Match facilitated related or unrelated donor transplant, is at least 90 days post-transplant and actively being treated for chronic GVHD
- Enrolled or in the process of enrolling in a clinical trial for a blood cancer or disorder and needs assistance covering travel expenses
What patient financial assistance can cover
Patient financial assistance helps your patient overcome barriers they may encounter before and after transplant. Patients can qualify for up to $1,000 (depending on monthly household income). The following list includes the most common example expenses that financial assistance can cover, but is not exhaustive.
- Unexpected financial barriers, like unemployment or extended hospital stay expenses
- Out-of-pocket costs related to medical care, such as copays for prescriptions, clinic visits and dental work
- Non-medical out-of-pocket expenses for patients and caregivers, like temporary housing, food and gas
- Medical costs associated with chronic graft-versus-host disease management
- Travel costs related to clinical trials
- Inadequate health insurance coverage for search and procurement activities - please use this letter as confirmation of pre-approval (up to $20,000)
- An emergency or crisis event that is impacting post-transplant care (see The Ira and Diana Riklis Crisis Grant below for details)
The worksheets below will help you prepare the information you need to complete the online application. Use the worksheet that best describes the current status of your patient’s transplant journey.
These worksheets cannot be submitted as an application and should only be used as a tool to help you complete the online application.
- The transplant center needs reimbursement for NMDP/Be The Match facilitated search activity
- The patient is pre-transplant and has a formal search through the NMDP/Be The Match Registry with the intention to move forward with an allogeneic transplant that is facilitated by NMDP/Be The Match (related or unrelated)
- The patient is post-transplant and had an NMDP/Be The Match facilitated related or unrelated donor transplant within three years of application submission date
- The patient had an NMDP/Be The Match facilitated related or unrelated donor transplant, is at least 90 days post-transplant and actively being treated for chronic GVHD
- The patient is enrolled or in the process of enrolling in a clinical trial for a blood cancer or disorder and needs assistance covering travel expenses
How to apply for patient financial assistance
Applications must be submitted by a healthcare professional through our secure online application. The data in this application is for internal use only and will never be shared. Our Patient Financial Assistance team will review the application within five business days, determine patient eligibility and award amount using a sliding scale. If approved, patients will receive their financial assistance in the form of the payment method selected in the application.
The Ira and Diana Riklis Crisis Grant
With funding generously provided to the Be The Match Foundation®, the National Marrow Donor Program®/Be The Match® can provide financial help for patients experiencing a crisis event that is directly impacting post-transplant care. The Ira and Diana Riklis Crisis Grant can give a limited number of qualified patients a grant up to $10,000 depending on need.
To be eligible, these requirements must be met:
- Patient must reside in the United States
- Patient had an NMDP/Be The Match facilitated transplant within the last 12 months
- Patient is still actively receiving post-transplant care
- Patient/family has an emergency or crisis event that is directly impacting post-transplant care
- Patient's household income does not exceed 350% of the federal poverty line
- Income does not exceed monthly costs - including costs needed for the crisis
- Transplant center team affirms patient eligibility and need, and submits application
If your patient meets the above eligibility requirements, please email our Patient Financial Assistance team at firstname.lastname@example.org to request The Ira and Diana Riklis Crisis Grant application.
The grants were a gift from heaven. When you’re sick and can’t work for a year or more, you don’t know what you’re going to do…the grants made such a big difference in our lives!”
–Bruce, transplant recipient
Our Patient Financial Assistance Program is funded by the Be The Match Foundation® and facilitated through our Patient Financial Assistance team. Availability of patient financial assistance depends on funding and is not guaranteed, regardless of eligibility.
Contact our Patient Financial Assistance team.
1 (763) 406-8114