Institutional Review Board
Human Research Protection Program
The NMDP Institutional Review Board (IRB) protects the rights and welfare of individuals who participate in research-primarily unrelated volunteer donors listed on the Be the Match Registry® and donors and recipients participating in research sponsored by the Center for International Blood and Marrow Transplant Research® (CIBMTR).
Our human research protection program complies with all federal regulations pertaining to human research protections and adheres to the ethical principles of the Belmont Report: Ethical Principles and Guidelines for the Protection of Human Subjects of Research. The NMDP IRB is registered with the Department of Health and Human Services Office of Human Research Protections (Registration # IRB00001253) and has an approved Federalwide Assurance (FWA00000441).
Explore IRB information and resources:
- Donors as Research Subjects: Find information and training about donors as research subjects and how to identify when a study needs NMDP IRB approval.
- IRB Materials for Application: Access applications for NMDP IRB submission and the form for closing a study with the NMDP IRB.
- IRB Meeting Schedule: Find dates of upcoming NMDP IRB meetings.
- Policies & Procedures: Browse NMDP policies and procedures that protect research study subjects.
- Scientific Merit and Donor Safety Committee Initial Review Application (DOC): Use this application to submit your study for review when unrelated donors are supporting research activities in the protocol but are not considered human research subjects.