Basic Biology of HLA
Explore the basic biology of proteins, their functions and why matching is so important.
Access the Program
Please log in to the NMDP/Be The Match Learning Center.
- Returning users: Log on to the Learning Center
- New users: Create an account in the Learning Center using the link on page 1 of the User Guide for Network Members (PDF).
- NMDP/Be The Match Employees: Access the Learning Center.
NMDP/Be The Match Network partners, nurses, laboratory technologists, and other healthcare professionals who work in the field of marrow and cord blood transplantation.
- Identify the Class I & II HLA proteins and their functions
- Describe the concept of polymorphic HLA proteins in regards to hematopoietic cell transplantation (HCT)
- Summarize the possible outcomes of patient/donor HLA protein mismatching
Contact Education and Training with any questions at email@example.com
Immunogenetic Operations & Research spearheaded the creation of the HLA education series with the help of Case Management and NMDP Education and Training. The Immunogenetic Operations & Research department is responsible for understanding the scientific aspects of hematopoietic cell transplantation data, ensuring the timely acquisition and validation of these data for searching patients, and translating the evolving science into actionable policies, practices, and services.