Donor Patient Confidentiality
Be the Match places the utmost importance on patient and donor confidentiality. We are committed to protecting the identity and privacy of all patients and donors, and, as such, we comply with all applicable local, federal, and international laws.
The following are our guidelines and procedures for protecting the privacy of people who receive transplants or donate blood stem cells.
- Confidential Information Policy (PDF)
Policy to protect against unauthorized disclosure or use of confidential information.
- Confidential Information Standard Operating Procedure (Donor/Patient Confidentiality) (PDF)
Procedure for protection of confidential information and response to disclosures of such information.
- Confidentiality Guidelines for Working with the Media (PDF)
Guidelines for protecting donor and patient confidentiality when working with the media.
- Social Media Confidentiality Guidelines for Network Partners (PDF)
Guidelines for social media best practices for maintaining donor and patient confidentiality.
- Guidelines for Social Media Sharing for Donors
Guidelines for donors to use when sharing donation information on social media websites.
- International Policies Regarding Post-Transplant Communications between Donors and Recipients (XLSX)
Listing of international cooperative registries, donor centers, and transplant centers, and their policies regarding communication between donor and recipient and patient updates.
- Confidentiality Information Policy (Related Donor/Patient Confidentiality) (PDF)
Policy to protect against unauthorized disclosure or use of confidential information for related donor/patient activities.
- Confidentiality Information Standard Operating Procedure (Related Donor/Patient Confidentiality) (PDF)
Procedure for protection of confidential information for related donor/patient activities and response to disclosures of such information.
The following post-transplant procedures explain how to appropriately obtain a donor or recipient's signed consent to release their personal information to their transplant partner, and how to facilitate the exchange of anonymous items (letters, cards and gifts) between donors and recipients after transplant.
- Review & Exchange of Post-Transplant Anonymous Correspondence & Gifts (PDF)
Procedure for effectively reviewing and submitting to the NMDP cards, letters, and gifts to be exchanged between donors and receipients after transplant.