Obstetrics Resources and Education
Use these resources to help educate
labor and delivery staff on collection best practices and the importance of
cord blood volume on transplant outcomes. Direct them to visit: BeTheMatchClinical.org/OB for the latest education and resources and BeTheMatch.org/Cord for patient-friendly information on cord blood donation.
Cord Blood Articles
To support communications with your hospitals, we've developed pre-written cord blood content and headers you can use in enewsletters or other communications. Article content includes cord blood: donor and recipient stories, recent research, and resources.
- Download cord blood articles (DOC)
- Download enews header (JPG)
- Download 8.5 x 11 Word document header (JPG)
These materials may be downloaded or ordered to distribute at your hospitals to promote the importance of volume. Order materials now (note: one staff member from each cord blood bank has access to place orders). View online ordering training manual (PDF).
- Volume is Vital Stickers: 3"x 3" sticker that can be affixed to cord blood collection kits showing optimal volume. Order
- Volume is Vital Posters (3 versions): Featuring a transplant physician or cord blood recipient and explaining the importance of cord blood volume. Order
- OB Collection Quick Guide: Includes key elements necessary for high-quality cord blood unit collection with graphic showing optimal volume. Order
- Public Cord Blood Collection DVD: 3-minute educational video explaining background and technique for cord blood collection for public donation. Order (This video is not considered training)
- Certificate Templates: Download and distribute these certificates to show gratitude and recognize OBs and labor and delivery staff for their role in cord blood collection.
- Certificate of Appreciation 8.5 x 11 (Editable PDF)
- Certificate of Appreciation 8.5 x 5.5 (Editable PDF)
- Certificate of Excellence 8.5 x 11 (Editable PDF)
- Certificate of Excellence 8.5 x 5.5 (Editable PDF)
- Certificate of Recognition 8.5 x 11 (Editable PDF)
- Certificate of Recognition 8.5 x 5.5 (Editable PDF)
- Public Cord Blood Donation: Its clinical uses and the OB role (PPT): Download, customize and present this PowerPoint at your collection hospitals to help them learn the role of OBs in educating about cord blood options, the clinical need and uses of cord blood, the best practices for cord blood collection, and more.
- Obstetrician's Role in Increasing Patient's Access
to Cord Blood: Learn how cord blood is used in
transplantation, tools for helping parents decide to donate, and
information on the proper collection procedures and process.(1 hour educational activity)
Medical Position Papers
Several medical societies have issued statements on cord blood banking.
This information can be shared with potential donors to help them understand
cord blood options.
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) has published a Committee Opinion on Umbilical Cord Blood Banking, Committee Opinion on Delayed Cord Blood Clamping and FAQs about cord blood donation.
- American Medical Association (AMA) has adopted ethical guidelines for physicians about umbilical cord blood.
- The American Society for Blood and Marrow Transplantation (ASBMT) has published a position statement and committee report on cord blood collection and preservation.